Monday, May 7, 2018

Springtime Affective Disorder: Not in the DSM-5. Maybe it should be?


Some people find the wintertime increases their symptoms of anxiety and/or depression. In fact, there is a disorder called SAD, or Seasonal Affective Disorder. However, typically, when you think of people who are affected by the seasons, you think of the cold and dreariness that comes with the months of January, February, or March. However, some of us experience what I like to refer to as Springtime Affective Disorder. As far as I know, this is not something you can find in the DSM-5, but it is something you can find evidence for in the literature on the changing of the seasons and anxiety. Just google “anxiety and spring” and read the list of articles that link the change of this season with an increase in symptoms of both anxiety and with those who have bipolar disorder, mania.

With this version of SAD, just like the flower buds that seem to have appeared overnight and the birds that suddenly jar us out of sleep at 5 am, symptoms of anxiety and mood change seem to pop up out of nowhere.

Personally, for the past two years, my own GAD has kicked up as spring approaches. So, though I can finally go for long bikes rides or sit in the sunshine on my porch—which are typically things that help my mental health—I’m so overwhelmed in my generalized anxiety, that I don’t necessarily want to.
Me, on my porch

This year, it particularly sucks because I’m now a licensed therapist who specializes in anxiety disorders. For me, despite all I’ve studied and know, I still feel the weight of shame and stigma, and it’s two-fold as a clinician who also has a condition.

I was in total remission of GAD for over a decade when it returned with a vengeance in spring (see that connection!) of 2014 (ironically, also the year I started grad school to become a therapist). I worked hard at recovery and by the fall, I was much better. By 2016, GAD seemed like a distant memory again, and by early 2017, I almost forgot (though you never forget because, by nature, it lingers as a constant worry in the background of your mind) and then…Spring of 2017, a mini relapse. I worked hard and pulled out of that one in just a couple of months and then…mid-April of 2018 HELLO!? Why are you back?

This time, I am well aware of the reality that anxiety doesn’t go away permanently, and I really know that…from being on both sides of the couch… In fact, I’ve come to understand that it is your companion, at least when it doesn’t spiral into existential hell. What I also know is that though this is totally UNCOMFORTABLE, it’s not going to kill me or make me go crazy—common thoughts/fears that we anxiety disorder suffers know all too well.

I know what to do. With a little over 15 years of on and off therapy throughout my life and three and a half years as a therapist, coupled with enough reading to fill several graduate degrees, I am an (semi) expert…from both sides of the couch.  

So, as soon as I felt it these last few weeks, I did two things: 1. Remind myself that the spring is activating for me (and millions of others). And, 2. Recommit, with even more determination, to utilizing my tools. So, though I don’t want to take that bike ride or sit outside, I do and when I do, it definitely helps. In fact, it helps a whole lot.

And, though I have never stopped using my tools all this time, I turn up the commitment and discipline a bit more. I think of it this way: the diabetic can’t just stop the insulin because he doesn’t want to deal with the chore of it, and the cancer patient can’t just stop chemo because it’s uncomfortable or it makes them nauseous. Similarly, we, too, must not stop our mental health care treatment just because it requires an effort we sometimes feel we don’t have. 
Bike path

By the way, that’s another reality of recovery: you have to continue to use the tools, to make them into daily habits, in order for your recovery to stick. And even then, sometimes, symptoms flare because of something completely out of your control, like the shifting of winter into spring.

So, recommit yourself to your recovery. Push beyond the stigma and shame you may feel. Get on your bike or grab your sneakers and go outside, no matter how anxious or depressed you feel. I guarantee it will make you feel better.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Springtime Affective Disorder: Not in the DSM-5. Maybe it should be?

Some people find the wintertime increases their symptoms of anxiety and/or depression. In fact, there is a disorder called...